Wednesday, July 31, 2013

July 2013 Books that 'Did Not 'Make the Grade’

I read four amazing books and could not get through three; I think the odds were in my favor this month! Here are the three books that sadly ‘did not make the grade’:

The Quiet Girl by Peter Høeg: The plot was interesting but his choice of 3rd person pronouns were always ‘he’ and ‘she,’ never the character’s names, making it difficult to following the dialogue.  The pace was very slow and to top it off, his transitions between the present and the past are rough. (Whether this is due to the translation or the author’s style, I am not sure.) Either way, it did not help make the story more appealing.

Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult: Although there was a fantastic introduction, there were too many characters crammed into the beginning, making me feel overwhelmed. Even more so than the amount of characters was the way they spoke and how difficult it was to take them seriously; they spoke in an unnatural manner and made me unable to connect with them.

Still Life with Woodpecker by Tom Robbins: The introduction and the pace were extremely slow and although I loved his writing style, I found myself zoning out and unable to follow the story.

Thank you again for reading and please leave a comment below! I'd love to hear what you have to say or suggest!

~Shelly-Beans

No comments: